The car manufacturer BMW was the first one who integrated Apple’s products from most models from day one. Now the pages seems to have turned. The ”My BMW Remote” app is now available for smartphones running the Android operating system. The app allows various remote functions, including the locking and unlocking the doors via smartphone.
So if you drive a newer modell (2010/2011), you will have the following functions with the “My BMW Remote” app installed on an Android Smartphone:
- Remote Door Lock & Unlock
- Remote Climate Control (BMW X3 from March 2011)
- Remote Light Flash: remote control of configurable exterior light functions to locate the vehicle
- Google Local Search: address destination search on the Android Smartphone and transfer to the vehicle navigation system
- Vehicle Finder: display of current vehicle position on a map in the Android Smartphone – for locating a parked car within a radius of up to 1,5 kilometers.
In the future smartphone owners also will be able to read vehicle data via phone, such as the current tank and the oil level or retrieve the date for the next service appointment. The external and internal temperature of the vehicle will be visible on the phone. It’s also planned to be able to check on the go, if windows, convertible top or sunroof are closed.
“By extending our My BMW Remote app to Android devices as well, we are responding to the recent rapid spread of this operating system. Google Android is the fastest growing software platform for smartphones and tablets. Therefore we are delighted to offer our customers the remote functions on this operating system,”
We welcome your views, please feel free to comment below!